Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Praying in God’s will

Another one I don't think 
was displayed publicly.

A bit from my experience when training for hospital chaplaincy; unless we are listening intently, we cannot know what God wants to do at any specific time. Oh, sure, we can know the general things like grace, love, freedom from guilt -- you know the ones God wants to give to all. In my time working on oncology, cardiac and other units, however, I was constantly into needs I could not know in advance, yet needs in which I had to know God's specific, intended gift for that patient in order to be God's minister/messenger.

Fortunately, I learned early that year to ask for divine revelation of the specific God-intended gift. I would pray, "As I (we) fall silent and listen, teach us your intended gift in this time." Each time, I was ready to wait for hours or even days for the answer, but it often came within nanoseconds as though God was speaking audibly. Sometimes the intended gift was healing for emotional/physical pain; sometimes for physical healing; and yes, sometimes for saving grace.

I can say without reservation; when I prayed in the power of God's intended gift, miracles happened. It wasn't that I performed any miracle.
      I DIDN'T!
It was that I and everyone else took faith in God's promise. We prayed for the specific thing God wanted, and it happened.

Don't ask me to explain any further than to say that when we pray in the power of God's intention; when we pray in line with divine will; when we get out of God's way and quit trying to unlock the doors for God, God is finally able to work in our lives and in the lives of those we touch.

So, with all due respect to everyone who reads this, quit praying that God will find you the best deal on a car, or find you the best option on a house, or *any*such*thing*. Start instead, asking God to teach you what to ask for. Hey! It *MAY*BE* that best car deal, or the best house, OR it might be a direction you cannot possibly imagine now, something far more important.

Just stop; ask for revelation; listen for it; pray when you understand, then you will receive. You will receive in generous measure, pressed down and running over, and you will be blessed and praise God every time you remember it. I have those memories that bring joy to my heart and tears to my eyes whenever I remember them, now even a quarter of a century later.

No comments:

Post a Comment